I had planned to dress up my baby in a ladybug costume when he was still creeping. I wanted to keep it simple without much measuring, cutting & sewing as I didn’t have enough time to do all that. As I did this almost a year back , I don’t have the step-by-step pictures.
- Black onesie / Black long sleeve shirt and leggings
- Red and black felt fabric
- Filling material for the shell
- Hook and loop fastener (Velcro)
- Black hairband
- Pompom ball red/black
- Black Cable ties
Steps to make the shell:
I followed this blog to make the shell of the ladybug. But ignored the head part of the bug.
- Cut two pieces of oval shaped red fabric and black dots.
- Sew the oval shapes together.
- Stuff the filler before sewing it completely.
- After the shell is ready, sew a velcro on its back. I sewed it in two places to fix it firmly to the shirt.
- Mark the corresponding points on the back of the shirt and sew the other half of velcro.
Steps to make the antenna:
I got the idea of hairband antenna and the velcro from the following link:
Use the cable ties on the hairband to look like antennae and glue a pompom ball to its end.
Note: Adjust the position of the shell on the shirt (velcro positioning) so that baby’s head can move comfortably. After the photo shoot is complete / Before and after the Halloween party, you can remove the shell and use it as a normal shirt.
Finally, here is the picture of my little ladybug 🙂